Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Nebraska's Internet Speed Metrics - Bingeing on Bits

Especially important for viewing a binge-watchable series (Netflix's Bloodline being worthy of the famous quote by Tolstoy about families) is adequate and reliable Internet bandwidth.

I picked this up from Gizmodo:

On this interactive map, it looks like Nebraska is below the national average for Internet speed as measured by Speedtest.net. (27.2 vs. 33.9). This makes Nebraska 34th out of 50 States and Wash. DC. (Reported in Mbps = megabits per second)

(Click on all graphics for a larger view. Then click "X" in the upper righthand corner to return to blog.)


A more nuanced view is seen in the Net Index Explorer Web page. Here you see Omaha (32.6 Mbps) as being just below the national average. The town of Bennington tops it at 46.8 Mbps. This merits some investigation. I can't vouch for these numbers, so I'll have to take them as a starting point to find the meaning of this and other reports. I'm skeptical by nature, and don't accept numbers at face value, especially at 4 significant digits. Time to start digging.


This prompted me to check my own connection. A download speed of 9 Mbps is quite a drop from when I last tested it. Have to look into this.






No comments:

Post a Comment